Friday, April 26, 2013

God's Words


I recently started a study on basic Christian beliefs. So far, it has served as great and refreshing catalyst for discussion, contemplation and prayer. The first chapter is simple titled “What is the Bible?” The answer while simple is so magnificent. The Bible is God’s words. 

You have to just let that sink in for a few minutes. 

As our group was studying this simple yet astounding definition, it just hit me how fortunate and humbling it is that we actually have God’s words. Hebrews 4:12 tells us: For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart. 

I don’t think I have the words for how this impacted me; the realization that what we have in the Bible are the words of the creator of all things, the maker of heaven and earth, the words of the one who breathed us into being. 

Out of His goodness he has given us His actual words, not just truths, but truth itself, revealing Himself to us. Do you understand the implications, the privilege, and the magnitude of this? Psalm 119 reminds us; How sweet are your words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth! I gain understanding from your precepts; therefore I hate every wrong path. Your word is a lamp for my feet, a light on my path.” 

I once heard a young pastor preach and he commented that it is so easy to take this for granted; he said that it seems as if we have lost our awe. And shouldn’t we be in awe knowing the Bibles we hold are the actual words of God! To me the fact that we can actually hold and read the words of God should impact us with the same feeling that we get watching the most beautiful of sunsets or seeing a natural wonder for the first time... 

Reading God’s words; simply amazing...Father, thank you that we have your precious words. Help us to recognize the significance, help us to never take for granted your priceless words. Father, help us to be shaped, formed, transformed, and guided by your incredible words... 

“It is about the greatness of God, not the significance of man. God made man small and the universe big to say something about himself.”

John Piper 

Grace and Peace!

No comments: