Saturday, April 20, 2013

Immense Patience


Our church has been without a senior pastor for over two years. During this time we have also seen the beginnings of an effort to help plant a new church. In both cases I see people (with me leading the way) growing increasingly impatient. 



One morning I was reading the Bible and came to 1 Timothy 1:16

But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. 

As I read this I was humbled, I was awestruck as I came to see that Christ in dealing with me and my brokenness and my sin, has shown; depending on the translation, His immense, perfect, great, unlimited patience with me. This phrase in Greek means longsuffering, enduring, persevering, showing slowness in avenging wrong. 

Wow – my Savior demonstrating time after time such merciful, perfect and immense patience with me and how do I react? With impatience... 

Henri Nouwen once wrote: 

“Patience is a hard discipline. It is not just waiting until something happens over which we have no control: the arrival of the bus, the end of the rain, the return of a friend, the resolution of a conflict. Patience is not a waiting passivity until someone else does something. Patience asks us to live the moment to the fullest, to be completely present to the moment, to taste the here and now, to be where we are. When we are impatient we try to get away from where we are. We behave as if the real thing will happen tomorrow, later and somewhere else. Let’s be patient and trust that the treasure we look for is hidden in the ground on which we stand.” 

So patience is not just a sitting and waiting, but a living to the fullest that which God has provided. It is not a waiting for something else, but a trust that we are where we are for a reason – to honor and glorify God right where we are. 

Father, Thank you for your immense patience in dealing with such a broken creature. Help me to see that patience while tough is not just passively waiting, but it is to live to the fullest in the here and now. To be all I can be right now, right where you have placed me according to your all-­‐perfect plan. Father, help me to live to honor, glorify and enjoy you forever. Amen! 

Grace and Peace!

No comments: