Friday, April 12, 2013

Hard Pressed


I sometimes wonder if busyness and stress and pressure are a function of age. For me it seems that with each year I feel a little more tired and weary. I look around and see a still struggling economy, I see global tensions, I see a politically divided nation, I see unemployment, I see struggles, I see...well, you get point. 

I was thinking the other day that I used to come home after a tough day and say; ‘have you ever had one of those days.' Now, I could come home and say; ‘have you ever not had one of those days.' However, as I progress in my thinking I really do have hope, I really do see the light at the end of the tunnel (and it is not a train). I see the light of the Gospel. 

At times like these I am drawn to 2 Corinthians 4: 

6 For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” made his light shine in our hearts to give us the light of the knowledge of God’s glory displayed in the face of Christ. 7 But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-­surpassing power is from God and not from us. 8 We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; 9 persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed... 16Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. 17 For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. 18 So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal. 

Abba Father, help us to take heart! Help us as things begin to pile up to see the light of your glory in the face of Christ. Father, thank you that even as there are untold pressures we are not crushed, abandoned or destroyed.  Oh great and Glorious God, help us fix our eyes not on the temporary, but that which is eternal. Father, God of Mercy and Grace and Love; help us all.

Grace and Peace!

No comments: