Sunday, April 4, 2010

Overwhelmed


Our Church is in the middle of a series on faith; working through Hebrews 11. We are looking at all the heroes of faith and their example. As Easter has been approaching I have been thinking a lot about what an example (the perfect example) we have in Christ.

Many times I get drawn to Matthew 26:36-39;

36Then Jesus went with his disciples to a place called Gethsemane, and he said to them, "Sit here while I go over there and pray." 37He took Peter and the two sons of Zebedee along with him, and he began to be sorrowful and troubled. 38Then he said to them, "My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death. Stay here and keep watch with me." 39Going a little farther, he fell with his face to the ground and prayed, "My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me. Yet not as I will, but as you will."

This passage has such an impact on me; I can’t seem to shake it. My Lord and Savior is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death. I’ve often wondered what this really means; was He overwhelmed knowing the pain and torture; was he overwhelmed knowing the denial He was about to face; was He overwhelmed by the prospect of some type of separation from God; was He overwhelmed for each of us? I think it is some combination of all and even more.

And what an example he provided. By faith he prayed for the cup to be taken; by faith (and this is remarkable to me) He prayed “Yet not as I will, but as you will.” Trusting God’s plan no matter what; knowing all things are for the good of those that love Him!

I just get overwhelmed to the point of shouting; Hallelujah! This Easter I was struct by a lyric from a Chris Tomlin song; I Will Rise. In this song Chris sings that Jesus has overwhelmed the grave. I linked these two overwhelms together and was in awe. Going from overwhelmed by sorrow to overwhelming the grave for each of us.

Psalm 65 tells us;

3 When we were overwhelmed by sins, you forgave our transgressions.

Easter means so much to me, knowing no matter how overwhelmed by sin I am; Christ loves me and sacrificed His all for me; He forgives me with open arms. That is just so overwhelming! Amen – Happy Easter All…He is risen!

Grace and Peace!

No comments: