Saturday, April 24, 2010

Forsaken


I have often wondered about Matthew 27:46;

About the ninth hour Jesus cried out in a loud voice, "Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani?" which means, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?"

I struggle with this verse, it pains me. I struggle with what it means; what are we supposed to get from this? I know theologians have pointed to this verse saying it provides a glimpse into the intensity of Christ’s suffering; I know they point to this verse as a fulfillment of prophecy (Psalm 22:1). However, I have this feeling deep down there must be more.

The definition of forsaken is a good place to start and I kind of blended several different sources to come up with my definition; forsaken means to renounce or turn away from entirely, to abandon, to go and leave, to leave stranded or isolated with little hope of rescue. So for our savior to cry out in this way just shakes me to my core!

I have trouble describing how this verse makes me feel. I understand that at times we may all feel a little “forsaken”, but this was a real physical and spiritual forsaken that our Lord was suffering through. Charles Spurgeon writes; “since even the thought that He has forsaken us gives us agony, what must the woe of the Savior have been when he exclaimed, My God, My God, why have you forsaken me?” Can you begin to feel the emotion of this verse; yet what are we to take from it?

Spurgeon helps here as well writing; “No man can enter into the full meaning of these words. Some of us think at times that we would cry, “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?” There are seasons when the brightness of our Father’s smile is eclipsed by clouds and darkness; but let us remember that God never does really forsake us.”

What a thought, that Christ suffered, was abandoned, renounced, stranded, and isolated with little hope of rescue; so that we as believers will never be! Amen and Amen. Christ was forsaken in order that we may never be forsaken. What hope we now have; no matter the circumstance, no matter the tragedy, no matter what!

Hebrews 13:5b tells us; because God has said, "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you."

Abba Father, thank you for your Son who was forsaken so that we will never be forsaken. What a loving God you are and what a loving Savior we have forever and ever.

Grace and Peace!

No comments: