Monday, October 6, 2008

The Attributes of God


I am currently reading a great book called “The Attributes of God” written by A. W. Pink. It is absolutely fantastic and so relevant today even though it was written years ago. This book has caused me to pause and really think which is a small miracle in and of itself.

In this book Pink quotes Luther from one of his letters to Erasmus in which Luther says, “Your thoughts of God are too human”. Aren’t we all guilty of that to some degree? That simple quote has really impacted me. I challenge everyone to just think about it for a while. How do we relate to God? How do we view God?

In Psalm 50:21, Pink notes that God complained to an apostate Israel, "These things you have done and I kept silent; you thought I was altogether like you." Oh, He is so much more than that; our Creator, our Maker, our Supreme and Sovereign God; full of Grace and Love for such a broken creation.

Even when we try to understand, it important to realize how utterly and wonderfully complex He is. We can read in Isaiah 55:8-9; 8“For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,” declares the LORD. 9 “As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.”

Thinking about the Supremacy of God can be mind boggling, but so comforting; overwhelming, but so reassuring, and staggering, but so caring. I would like to end on Psalm 104:1-3

1 Praise the LORD, O my soul. O LORD my God, you are very great; you are clothed with splendor and majesty. 2 He wraps himself in light as with a garment; he stretches out the heavens like a tent 3 and lays the beams of his upper chambers on their waters. He makes the clouds his chariot and rides on the wings of the wind.

How Great is our God!

Grace and Peace

No comments: