Saturday, January 4, 2014

But If You Can

 Now this may ramble a bit...but I have been dwelling on Mark 9 for a while now. The part where Jesus comes to the father of a boy who since childhood has had a spirit that causes him to have convulsions, to foam at the mouth and to try to harm himself. 

Jesus comes upon this desperate situation. God’s word is so amazing that every time I come to a passage there is something new and fresh in it. And this is no exception. The thing that strikes me is the dialog that occurs in verses 21-24. 
 
Mark 9:21-24 

Jesus asked the boy’s father, “How long has he been like this?”

“From childhood,” he answered. “It has often thrown him into fire or water to kill him. But if you can do anything, take pity on us and help us.” 


“‘If you can’?” said Jesus. “Everything is possible for one who believes.” 

Immediately the boy’s father exclaimed, “I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!” 

The thing that just jumps out at me is the fathers humble request; “but if you can.” Don’t we all make similar requests of our sovereign Lord? What has me typing though is the thought that this might not be the way to approach things. 

As Jesus compassionately and emphatically explains...if you can...if you can is not the correct question as all things are possible for those that believe. Well the father gets it and cries out in prayer; “I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief.” 

So for me, I know that I sometimes take the approach of this father when I should be taking the approach of Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego in Daniel 3 and exclaim; Lord, I know you are able! I do not know if you will, but I know you are able. 

Daniel 3:16-18

Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego replied to him, “King Nebuchadnezzar, we do not need to defend ourselves before you in this matter. If we are thrown into the blazing furnace, the God we serve is able to deliver us from it, and he will deliver us from Your Majesty’s hand. But even if he does not, we want you to know, Your Majesty, that we will not serve your gods or worship the image of gold you have set up.” 

So I told you this might ramble a bit and I am not even sure this all makes sense, but as we approach God in prayer shouldn’t we approach the creator of all things from a position of faith and belief that our God is able

Father, we believe, please help us overcome our unbelief! Amen

Grace and Peace!

No comments: