Sunday, May 19, 2013

Absolute Assurance


I read that someone won the powerball lottery for $590 million (and the ticket was purchased in Florida to boot) – amazing? I am not very good at math this early in the morning but let’s just say a very large number of people had to buy tickets for a 175 million to 1 chance at winning. 

Not good odds, not very assuring; yet some of the poorest areas of the country are flocking to buy tickets...hmmm. Now don’t get me wrong I am not judging; I will admit I think to myself sometimes...what if I won that lottery. However there is something deeper here (at least for me). Where do we turn for absolute assurance? 

Hebrews 13:5-­‐6 says: 

Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said, “Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.” So we say with confidence, “The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid. What can mere mortals do to me?” 

Of this verse Charles Spurgeon says; “This priceless scripture does not promise us exemption from trouble, but it does secure us against desertion.” 

Lottery ticket $2 dollars; The Lord is my helper...priceless! 

Grace and peace!

No comments: