Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Happy New Year


January 1, 2013...Well 2012 is gone and what a year! I have got to tell you that 2012 has been one of the most trying years for me personally; lots of ups and downs. At times it was grueling and overwhelming. Through it all I believe I grew spiritually (at times kicking and screaming). 

There were personal trials especially during Christmas that stretched me and my family to the limit. And while that is a story for another day, there was one thing that kept me focused, that kept me clear, that filled me with peace, hope and joy...the Gospel. 

I did a lot of reading during these holidays and came across several thoughts on the Gospel. The first is from William Tyndale the English scholar and reformer: 

“Evangelion’ (that we call the gospel) is a Greek word, and signifieth good, merry, glad and joyful tidings, that maketh a man’s heart glad, and maketh him sing, dance and leap for joy.” 

It is amazing to see God working during the toughest times and it is amazing to realize that through it all you are joyful and amazingly at peace. It is the news that no matter what you are going through that Christ came before you, was willing to suffer for you, was willing to sacrifice all for you so that no matter the circumstances of this life there is assurance of eternity with Christ. 

I found another thought on the Gospel from Zacharias Ursinus the German reformed theologian: 

“We may define the gospel to be the doctrine which God revealed first in paradise, and afterwards published by the Patriarchs and Prophets, which He was pleased to represent by the foreshadows of sacrifices, and the other ceremonies of the law, and which He has now accomplished through his only begotten Son. This teaches that the Son of God, our Lord Jesus Christ, is made unto us wisdom, righteousness, sanctification, and redemption; which is to say that he is a perfect Mediator, satisfying for the sins of the human race, restoring righteousness and eternal life to all those who by a true faith are ingrafted into him, and embrace his benefits.” 

As a broken human living in a broken world I tend to do things poorly and recognize things slowly and understand only after multiple attempts. As such I am so thankful for a Savior, a perfect Mediator satisfying all my shortcomings, restoring with amazing grace and love. So 2013, here is my new year’s resolution...I mean prayer. 

Psalm 51:10

Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. 

Amen!

Grace and Peace!

No comments: