Saturday, April 16, 2011

What Easter Means to Me


I have this theory that all preachers take a course in asking good questions; it is just something they all get in pastor school. I believe I have mentioned our Assistant Pastor is just so good at asking these “questions”. Well he has done it again; a question that has just caused me to dwell on it for some time.

Last week he asked; what does Easter mean to you? I must admit that in the past Easter meant eggs, baskets, bunnies, good food, family…the list goes on. Years ago I started to notice something different in my Mother-in-law. This was her favorite holiday, she would just display this visible joy on Easter; I didn’t quite get it.

However, as I came to know Christ; I get it now! For me Easter is a time of reflection and introspection and don’t get me wrong, as it is ultimately a time of amazement and joy! The dictionary defines introspection as a reflective inward look: an examination of one's own thoughts and feelings. I think Easter gives us the opportunity to examine our own thoughts and feelings and for me it is so emotional, resulting in this unspeakable joy.

I now reflect on all Christ went through in that time, from a triumphant entry, to a washing of the feet, a breaking of bread, betrayal, denial, interrogation, torture and then; oh my, He took nails for me (us).

I think of the miraculous transformation; from death to life, eternal life, conquering, overcoming, overwhelming! I think of all Christ did for me (us) and because of me (us). I am awestruck. What love!

Easter means so much to me now; a time of love, worship and adoration. As Psalm Sunday approaches I pray that we all will have a time of introspection, reflection and clarity as we consider all Christ went through just for us! Amazing.

Grace and Peace!

No comments: