Thursday, June 29, 2023

Stay Thirsty My Friends

 


Psalm 63:1-3


O God, you are my God; earnestly I seek you; my soul thirsts for you; my flesh faints for you, as in a dry and weary land where there is no water. So I have looked upon you in the sanctuary, beholding your power and glory. Because your steadfast love is better than life, my lips will praise you.


I’ve read this Psalm many times, but recently it occurred to me that when we realize the vast wasteland of our existence and our desperate need of rescue, how could we not have this overwhelming desire for God Almighty in all His Power and Glory? As we wearily approach our only hope and see that he loves us no matter what, when despite any circumstances we are secure for all eternity, how could we not praise Him?  


In John 4:13-14, Jesus said “Everyone who drinks of this water will be thirsty again, but whoever drinks of the water that I will give him will never be thirsty again. The water that I will give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life.”


That to me is the very definition of eternal hope. It shows us a gospel fueled life, an enduring love.


Chris Benefield said this about Psalm 63:


“Storms will come; winds will blow; life will bring situations that we had rather not face. But even then we are secure in the shadow of His wings. He has covered us with His abundant mercy. We are secure in His mighty hand. He is our portion and our stay. What could possibly come my way that the Lord would be unable to handle?”


In the mid 1600s, Thomas Ken wrote a hymn that has come to be known as ‘The Doxology.’  It seems appropriate to end with this…


Praise God, from whom all blessings flow;
Praise Him, all creatures here below;
Praise Him above, ye heav'nly host;
Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.


Amen.


Grace and Peace!

No comments: