Wednesday, March 25, 2020

A Little Time On My Hands

While I intellectually understand the need and necessity of social distancing and the need to stay isolated, this can be unsettling in our culture of crazy busy, 24/7 access to anything. And after what seems like a month in this essential period of social distancing, isolation, and self-quarantine, you might find yourself getting a little antsy.  I know I am and I also know how wonderful I have it, still there is this uneasiness, this underlying frustration. Yet, when I can get past those feelings, I am so thankful; thankful that so far everyone in my world seems to be ok.  I am without true struggle and so blessed – I have shelter, food, music, technology, health, freedom and so much more.  

Also, there has been a personal benefit, I find myself crying out, turning toward, praying more.  It has caused me to think deeply about how to and what to do with this time.  You know I used to blog quite a bit, but haven’t written or posted anything since March 7, 2018 – you guessed it I have been too busy.  So, I thought I might capture some of my thinking, my struggles, my journey.  

When I can get past the clutter in my mind, when I can slow down enough, you know when I am not so busy, I sometimes ask what is God teaching me?  I try to see what passages in the Bible come before me, and I try to think and pray it through.  Recently, Psalm 46:10 has come up in several different ways.  

Psalm 46:10 ESV

“Be still and know that I am God. I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth!”

It is said that this was Martin Luther’s favorite Psalm, that he turned to it in trying times.  In fact, he wrote the words and melody to the famous hymn, “Our God is a Mighty Fortress” based on this Psalm. Scholar H. C. Leupold once wrote, “Few psalms breathe the spirit of sturdy confidence in the Lord in the midst of very real dangers as strongly as does this one.”  And couldn’t we all use some “sturdy confidence” right now? That’s the real point of this psalm, that we have a God that conquers all so we can relax, we can know and trust that our great God has got this and he will never leave nor forsake us.  For me it means I can be still, that it is ok not to be so busy; from the Greek this is translated to cease striving and know, it means to stop so that you can see and perceive, so you can find out, so you can get to know, so you can be acquainted with (see Strong’s H3045).

But how do we do this?  Well in this time of a little time on our hands, maybe a little contemplative time.  I read somewhere that contemplative prayer has the key elements of silence, repose (rest and tranquility) and beholding.  Isaiah 30:15 says “For thus said the Lord God, the Holy One of Israel, In returning and rest you shall be saved: in quietness and in trust shall be your strength.”

So, what am I saying, what is the big idea…the idea; at least for me, is that perhaps with this time on my hands, in this time when I can’t come and go and be in crowds, that I can spend some of it with Jesus.  That I can be still, silent, tranquil and behold the Savior of the world; my Savior, my rescuer, my all in all.  That I can strive a little less so that I can see and perceive, that I can get to better know and be better acquainted with the one that loves me like no other.


To conclude, I have been reading a book written by Brian Zahnd called “The Unvarnished Jesus.” It is a series of daily reflections or devotionals to be used during Lent.  One of the daily reflections focuses on busyness and in it Zahnd writes, “Without some form of contemplative practice we will spend too much time in one of three undesirable mental states: drifting back into the painful past, flitting about in the distracted present, or rushing ahead into the anxious future.”  He continues, “In liturgical and personal prayer we use words to become properly formed and to present our petitions. But in contemplative prayer we sit silently acknowledging the presence of Christ. Each morning I initiate a time of sitting with Jesus with this prayer: Christ I acknowledge you. Christ above me, very God of very God. Christ below me, incarnate of the earth, Christ before me when seen. Christ behind me when unseen.  Christ at my right hand in my strength. Christ on my left in my weakness. Christ all around me filling all things everywhere with himself. Christ within me, formed by faith. Then I simply sit with Jesus for Jesus himself is salvation, peace, and healing.  I pray that you too can find the transcendent peace that comes from learning to quietly sit with Jesus on a daily basis.”

Everyone, by all means connect with others, help neighbors, serve, exercise, read more but maybe just maybe we can use some of this time to connect with Jesus in a transforming, exciting, deep and personal way!

Grace and Peace!

No comments: