Monday, October 24, 2016

One Nation?


I don’t know about you, but this season in history has left me stunned, confused, frustrated....dare I say near tears. I am torn by the divided nature of this country and it occurs to me there is a hardening that has taken place which prevents us from seeing any good or all that we have in common. We are blind to paths forward unless it is our path.  I am sick of advice, tired of biased journalism, astonished at the so-called experts of this age. I am so exhausted by the politics and culture of “I’m right and your stupid.” 

Not sure if you have heard, but we have an election coming up; an election to the highest office in the land and if you are following this election, it only highlights the divided nature of this nation. The debates left me shaking my head and wondering/praying/crying out about this choice or lack thereof. 

There are plenty of places to look for guidance...evangelicals; theologians, media, social media, your neighbors, there are polls and surveys and the list and opinions go on. 

So you might ask what is a person (like me) to do? Well it took the birth of my first grandchild for me to see a little more clearly. It took me holding that child in my arms (yes, with tears in my eyes) realizing how much I loved this little man. It took me seeing a choice – I could become frozen with doubt, worry and frustration about the mess or I could love...I could love God, my family, my friends and neighbors with all my heart, soul and mind. The choice is so clear. 

And as a Christian, I can do one more thing I can trust. Yes, I still plan to vote and honestly I still don’t have clarity on that vote...I have heard all I really want to hear and now I plan to search...search my heart, search the Word of God, I plan to make up my mind on my knees praying to my ever-loving, ever- faithful God. I plan ask God; “what would you have me do?” 

And then I will trust! Brennan Manning wrote an incredible book titled “Ruthless Trust” and in it he says; “Ruthless Trust is an unerring sense, way down deep, that beneath the surface agitation, boredom, and insecurity of life, it’s gonna be all right. Ill winds may blow...character defects may surface...but a stubborn, irrefutable certainty persists that God is with us and loves us in our struggle...” 

Psalm 22:28 reminds us that “kingship belongs to the LORD, and he rules over all nations.” Job (Job 42:2) says to God; “I know that you can do all things and that no purpose of yours can be thwarted.” Jeremiah 17:7 tells us; “Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD, whose trust is the LORD. 

I don’t know about you but my trust is the LORD. Trust; my friends trust. 

Grace and Peace!

No comments: