Wednesday, July 27, 2016

But Stephen

But Stephen, full of the Holy Spirit, looked up to heaven and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing at the right hand of God. 

My Church is in the middle of a summer reading plan and today we read Acts 7. A chapter so rich, so full, so emotional. Theologian William Neil says it is a “subtle and skillful proclamation of the Gospel.” 

I must admit that even though I have read this chapter on more than one occasion, I was emotionally impacted this morning. I was just particularly struck by the last passage; verses 54-60. I was taken aback by the anger and fury (can’t we see that even today), I was so moved by the faith of Stephen, I was amazed at the grace and the seeds of grace planted that day (Saul), and I was just emotionally crushed (in a good way) to see Jesus standing at the right hand of God (not sitting)...and for the first time I began to wonder why was he Standing? 

Some say that Jesus was led into the presence of God to receive authority and power (Daniel 7:13-14), some say he stood to welcome Stephen the first martyr, some say he stood as Stephen’s heavenly advocate. F. F. Bruce says; “Stephen has been confessing Christ before men, and now he sees Christ confessing his servant before God.” 

Since we are not clearly told the reason, I am sure it is a transcending, surpassing blend of all of this and even more...but what was laid on my heart this morning, what brought a tear to my eye was to know that Jesus was there in the midst of this suffering. Even though God’s will had to be done Jesus was with Stephen, He loved, He cared, and what came to my mind was a couple of verses from John 11. Verses 35 and 36: Jesus wept. Then the Jews said, “See how He loved him!” 

I honestly don’t know if this is theologically correct, but it was clearly placed on my heart this morning. That no matter the circumstance, no matter the trial, no matter the suffering, that Jesus is there with us, that His amazing love is there for us and out of that love, when we suffer He stands up for us; dare I say He weeps...For me it was: Oh my, see how He loves us. 

Jesus, I love you too! 

Grace and Peace!

No comments: