Thursday, November 28, 2013

Love


My daughter was married just last week. They return from their honeymoon today...Thanksgiving Day! 

Weddings are a roller coaster of emotions for all involved including the old man. In the end as things level out you do realize that your daughter still loves you and now you have added a “son” to the family. I am really thankful this Thanksgiving Day for this young couple. 
 
At their wedding I was honored to be able to read some scripture as part of the ceremony. One of the passages was 1 Corinthians 13: 1-8a: 

If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing. 

4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. 

8 Love never fails. 

As I thought about this passage leading up to the wedding, it occurred to me that Love truly is the key characteristic and ingredient to Christianity. Christ tells us that as believers we are to Love God and Love Others. Love is the only response for the amazing, overwhelming and divine love of the Creator for His children. Love never fails! 

J. I. Packer says of love...”Christianity is essentially response to the revelation of the Creator as a God of love... Believing in and being overwhelmed by this amazing reality of divine love generates and sustains the love to God and neighbor that Christ’s two great commandments require. Our love is to express our gratitude for God’s gracious love to us, and to be modeled on it. The hallmark of Christian life is love.” 

Father, this special day we are so thankful for your amazing, overwhelming, and divine love! 

This Thanksgiving Day; tell someone you love them...better yet show them. 

Grace and Peace!

No comments: