Saturday, September 21, 2013

Wisdom


 Romans 11:33

Oh, the depth of the riches of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable his judgments, and his paths beyond tracing out.
 
I have been thinking about the wisdom of God lately. Dwelling on it really. I think that today we have watered down the meaning of wisdom. We ask God to give us wisdom in times of indecision, but don’t we just mean help us make a good decision. Have we watered down wisdom to being smart in a certain circumstance? 

If we truly stop long enough to understand this attribute of God, I think we would be in awe...as we should. 

The Westminster Dictionary of Theological Terms defines wisdom as “knowledge of what is good and true; the basis for knowing what is true or false.” I think this a fine technical definition, but to me there is more to God’s wisdom. I think this definition provides for the intellect but perhaps not the heart. 

I am in the middle of re-­reading Concise Theology by J. I. Packer and on wisdom he states; “wisdom in scripture means choosing the best and noblest end at which to aim, along with the most appropriate and effective means to it.” 

So if I combine the two thoughts it might approach a glimpse of this amazing attribute of God...wisdom. Knowledge of what is good and true, with the heart and foundation to always choose the best and noblest end at which to aim and the most appropriate and effective means to it... 

God is so amazing and beyond our comprehension, yet isn’t it so comforting, so encouraging to know our all-­wise God? 

Daniel 2:20

Praise be to the name of God for ever and ever; wisdom and power are his.
 

Grace and Peace!

No comments: