Thursday, November 22, 2012

Thanksgiving Thoughts

Can you believe that Thanksgiving Day is upon us? You know for me Thanksgiving has become a time for reflection about the year; about the ups and downs of life; about all I really do have to be thankful for, but this year there is something more...

Have you ever stopped to think about what taking things for granted really means?  This has been on my mind and heart for a while and has caused me pause.  I searched for a definition of the phrase; taking things for granted and guess what?  There are many, but none seem to satisfy.  I was able to combine two or three definitions to come up with something meaningful to me; taking things for granted means to value something too lightly because it has come to be expected.  It means we are failing to appreciate things we consider ordinary and routine.

Thanksgiving for my family is a time to gather, enjoy food, watch sports and just be together.  This year I think there will be more.  I am going to stop and take stock of just how fortunate I am.  I am going to try my very best to recognize all the things I have to be thankful for; even simple things like clean water to drink, plentiful food, electricity, family, a job, health, safety and freedom.  I am going to try my very best to recognize the extraordinary things I have to be thankful like salvation, grace, mercy and the love of our Great God through Christ and by the power of the Holy Spirit; the One who provides all the blessings; simple and extraordinary.

Psalm 100 reminds us...


Shout for joy to the Lord, all the earth.  Worship the Lord with gladness, come before him with joyful songs.  Know that the Lord is God.  It is he who made us, and we are his; we are his people, the sheep of his pasture.  Enter his gates with thanksgiving and his courts with praise!  Give thanks to him and praise his name.  For the Lord is good and his love endures forever;  his faithfulness continues through all generations.

This day may we all shout for joy to the Lord, may we enter his gates with thanksgiving and praise knowing, resting, trusting that He is good and His love endures forever - AMEN!

Friends, what are you thankful for? 

Grace and Peace!

No comments: