Sunday, July 29, 2012

The Mark of a Christian


The other day I saw several Christian bumper stickers, I saw a van with the Fish symbol, I saw several cars with a window sticker from local Christian radio station, I saw a cross on the dash board of another car and it made me think.  Are these signs effective?  I started to dwell on this and wonder if all Christians should express their faith in this manner.  As I continued this thinking I came across a book from  1970 written by Francis Schaeffer titled “The Mark of a Christian”.  In it Schaeffer writes:

 “Through the centuries men have displayed many different symbols to show that they are Christians. They have worn marks in the lapels of their coats, hung chains about their necks, even had special haircuts. 

   Of course, there is nothing wrong with any of this, if one feels it is his calling. But there is a much better sign a mark that has not been thought up just as a matter of expediency for use on some special occasion or in some specific era. It is a universal mark that is to last through all the ages of the church till Jesus comes back. 

   What is this mark? 

   At the close of his ministry, Jesus looks forward to his death on the cross, the open tomb and the ascension. Knowing that he is about to leave, Jesus prepares his disciples for what is to come. It is here that he makes clear what will be the distinguishing mark of the Christian: 

“My children, I will be with you only a little longer. You will look for me, and just as I told the Jews, so I tell you now: Where I am going, you cannot come. A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” (John 13:33-35) 

This passage reveals the mark that Jesus gives to label a Christian not just in one era or in one locality but at all times and all places until Jesus returns. 

   Notice that what he says here is not a description of a fact. It is a command which includes a condition: "A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." An if is involved. If you obey, you will wear the badge Christ gave. But since this is a command, it can be violated. 

   The point is that it is possible to be a Christian without showing the mark, but if we expect non-Christians to know that we are Christians, we must show the mark.”

Expressing our faith through love…doesn't that just sound right?

Grace and Peace!

No comments: