Sunday, April 15, 2012

Sing


Psalm 30:1-4

1 I will exalt you, LORD, for you lifted me out of the depths and did not let my enemies gloat over me. 2 LORD my God, I called to you for help, and you healed me. 3 You, LORD, brought me up from the realm of the dead; you spared me from going down to the pit. 4 Sing the praises of the LORD, you his faithful people; praise his holy name.

How much do you sing? No really, how much do you sing and specifically sing the praises of the LORD? This passage really strikes me this morning. Today I see clearly that I was lifted out of the depths, I did call for help and was healed. I should be singing the praises of the Lord. I should be praising His holy name. As I think about this, we should sing more; more than at our worship services.

I was not gifted with a great voice, but I must tell you some of my most joyful moments come as I sing. Joe Thorn wrote a great little book called “Note to Self”. It is a book that reminds each of us just how much we need the gospel spoken into our lives. In this book he talks about singing. Joe reminds us;

“You really should sing more. You should sing more than at gathered worship with the church. You should sing in the car, while working in the yard, and in your home…

And stop rolling your eyes! I’m not suggesting that you become the perpetually happy whistler who rolls through the aisles of the grocery store whistling others into an incurable state of annoyance…

People sing about the things that capture their hearts and things that give them joy… Does anyone have more reasons to sing than you? As a sinner who has been forgiven, a slave who has been freed, a blind man who has received sight, a spiritual cripple who has been healed – all by the gospel – you have real reasons to be known as a person of song!”

May we all sing more and more the Praises of our Lord!

Grace and Peace!

No comments: