Saturday, April 21, 2012

Longing


1 Peter 1:13

Therefore, with minds that are alert and fully sober, set your hope on the grace to be brought to you when Jesus Christ is revealed at his coming.


I am getting so much from Joe Thorn’s book “Note to Self”. Recently, I was reading and Thorn poses these thoughts; “What is your greatest hope? Your deepest longing? Is it for Christ to return? Be honest. That’s not always at the top of your list.”

Ouch! Thorn does state that setting our hope on the grace to be experienced at the coming of Christ does not have to deny desires for things like marriage, grandchildren, love; but that to say Jesus’ return is our deepest longing means that “his manifested glory and the end of sin is our greatest need”. Amen.

I also believe that as we mature in our Christian walk our longings and desires do transition from things to Christ. I find that in myself and find myself longing more and more for the embrace of Christ – for Christ to tell me it is all ok and will be forever. I am so touched by the song “Forever Reign” and especially the Chorus:

“Oh, I'm running to Your arms, I'm running to Your arms. The riches of Your love, will always be enough. Nothing compares to Your embrace. Light of the world, forever reign.”

The writers of the song cite Ephesians 3:14-19 as inspiration for this song.

For this reason I kneel before the Father, from whom every family in heaven and on earth derives its name. I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the Lord’s holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.

May we all know the love of Christ and be filled with all the fullness of God.

“My heart will sing, No other name Jesus, Jesus.”

Grace and Peace!

No comments: