Saturday, February 18, 2012

Gospel Wakefulness


Recently I have been reading a book entitled “Gospel Wakefulness” by Jared Wilson. It is a book that for me is touching many emotions and reminding me how amazing the Love of Christ is.

In this broken world it is sometimes hard to experience the joy that should result when we recognize the love and grace of God. However, there are moments when joy and happiness just well up; moments when I just “feel” it. I think that this is the beginning of the Gospel Wakefulness that Jared is talking about.

Jared’s “nutshell” definition of Gospel Wakefulness is “gospel wakefulness means treasuring Christ more greatly and savoring His power more sweetly.” He calls this taking a spiritual quantum leap.

For me to take this leap I had to recognize my own desperation; which is tough for any of us to do. Yet this is so essential. John Stott in his book “The Cross of Christ” says; “We can cry ‘Hallelujah’ with authenticity only after we have first cried ‘Woe is me, for I am lost’”.

Psalm 40 reminds us;

He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand.

Father, may we all admit our slimy pit, our desperation and come to treasure the mighty and saving arms of Christ!

Grace and Peace!

No comments: