Saturday, January 7, 2012

Broken Bones


I have a friend who recently went through some trying times. Demands from work, health concerns just scratch the surface and can’t we all relate? I have recently struggled with a severe flare-up of arthritis in my knee. So severe that my wonderful wife had to help me with my socks and while it I am much better now when struggling through these times it can be tough.

Recently I was reading Psalm 34 and this just seemed to offer great relief;

19 The righteous person may have many troubles, but the LORD delivers him from them all; 
20 he protects all his bones, not one of them will be broken.

It comforts me when I think from an eternal perspective, when I see with eyes of faith. Those that know me know that I read a bunch of Charles Spurgeon’s writings; anything I can find! Spurgeon was known as the Prince of Preachers and offers great insight on many things. Spurgeon also suffered with many health issues, as did his wife. It is believed that Spurgeon suffered from lung and kidney disease, arthritis, and depression while his wife was so ill she was confined to the house much of their married life.

Of these verses Spurgeon writes:

"This is great comfort to a tried child of God, and comfort which I dare accept, for up to this hour have offered no real damage from my many afflictions. I have neither lost faith, nor hope, nor love. Nay, so far from losing these bones of character, they have gained in strength and energy. I have more knowledge, more experience, more patience, more stability than I had before the trials came. Not even my joy has been destroyed. Many a bruise have I had by sickness, bereavement, depression, slander and opposition, but the bruise has healed. The reason is not far to seek. If we trust in the Lord, He keeps all our bones; and if He keeps them, we may be sure that not one of them is broken. Come my heart, do not sorrow. There are no bones broken. Endure hardness, and bid defiance to fear."

Lord, thank you that you are our God and we can trust you in all things; thank you that we can trust and take comfort that even in our trying times you are there to protect our very bones. Amen.

Grace and Peace!

No comments: