Friday, January 7, 2011

Strengthen


You know human nature is a funny thing – not a humorous thing (although it can be that), but a strange thing. At times I find myself becoming so self-reliant that I wear myself out with my efforts, with my worry. I find myself so consumed with being self strengthening that I forget where my strength comes from; I become so stubborn about my strength that I am reluctant to ask for help from the source of my strength.

I read somewhere that the word stubborn is defined as tenaciously unwilling, or marked by an unwillingness to yield. Is that the lesson for me (us); not to allow our stubbornness to make us tenaciously unwilling or unwilling to yield to our maker?

Recently in a morning devotional I was reading Isaiah 41:10;

10 So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.

Of this verse, Spurgeon says; (and I paraphrase/modernize) "God has a strong reserve with which to discharge this engagement for He is able to do all things. The same God who directs the earth in orbit, who feeds the burning furnace of the sun, and trims the lights of heaven, has promised to supply us with daily strength."

Isn’t that so comforting; a promise from God to supply us with daily strength. The God, who hung the stars and the moon; who by His very breath created all things cares that much about each one of us. It is simply amazing to me.

May we all know the He is with us and will uphold us. In the words of E. V. - trust Him!

Grace and Peace!

No comments: