Saturday, October 23, 2010

Desires


How much is enough? John D. Rockefeller was once asked a similar question and responded; “one more dollar”. I think that speaks volumes to human nature; more, more, more! I know I spent years trying to reach goals and once there it was never enough. I believe human nature just has this insatiable quality.

As such, we just spend lifetimes striving, seeking, earning, gaining, searching only to find it is never enough. But wait, there is hope! There is a way to quench that insatiable desire. That is through a real and loving relationship with Christ. That brings to mind Psalm 73;

23 Yet I am always with you; you hold me by my right hand. 24 You guide me with your counsel, and afterward you will take me into glory. 25 Whom have I in heaven but you? And earth has nothing I desire besides you. 26 My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.

Isn’t that so satisfying? Earth has nothing I desire, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. Pastor Scotty Smith recently wrote a prayer on this passage and what a fitting way to end this blog.

"Even if I lived in the climate of my choice, had all the money in the world, and had the church of my dreams … Even if I had a trout on every cast, sank every putt, and could run a marathon a day… Even if I could eat all the chocolate I want and not gain weight… spend time with all kinds of people and never have a disagreement… move my entire family and favorite friends to Switzerland… it would not be enough.

Jesus, you are heaven to me, period. Though I may want a bunch of other stuff, you alone are the One I desire. You are the strength of my heart and my portion forever. Keep me sane by the gospel… keep me free of all bitterness… keep me broken before you and make me a better man by knowing you. So very Amen, I pray, in your most glorious and gracious name."


Grace and Peace!

No comments: