Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Heaven


1 Corinthians 9

24Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize.

Have you ever really stopped to think not in temporal terms, but really think about this prize? Have you ever contemplated this prize that we are all running toward? One of my men’s groups is starting a study on Heaven. I am anxious, excited and a little scared as I realize just how little I know about Heaven.

We are using Randy Alcorn’s book appropriately titled Heaven and he points out I am not alone in my lack of true understanding; a biblical understanding of heaven. He points out that even in the finest bible colleges and seminaries very little attention is given to detailed biblical study of heaven.

I am excited; maybe it is something that comes with age. Alcorn quotes Spurgeon who said; “To come to Thee is to come home from exile, to come to land out of a raging storm, to come to rest after long labor, to come to the goal of my desires and the summit of my wishes”.

I can’t wait to get started! This brings to mind a story (imagine that). A couple of years ago a friend of mine brought his family to our church for a cook out and a night of contemporary and live Christian music. It was just a nice, fun filled evening with games and activities for kids, food and then a night of music.

As we were sitting there under the “heavens” listening to the music there was a break between bands. As we sat in anticipation of the next band, my friends young daughter looked at her mother and said “Mommy, I can’t wait it’s going to be wonderful”.

I think as we uncover this prize, as we begin to understand Heaven; “it’s going to be wonderful”.

Father, as undeserving servants we thank you that there is still a prize; a prize to spend eternity with you in paradise. Luke 23:43 Jesus answered him, "I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise." Mind-boggling!

Grace and Peace!

No comments: