Monday, December 1, 2008

Rescued


I think I am about to embark on a very slippery slope. I know that I would much rather focus on the positive aspects of my Christian faith; the grace, the mercy, the love. However, recently I have been drawn to a part of Colossians that has just come alive for me. Colossians 1:13-14;

13For he has rescued us from the dominion of darkness and brought us into the kingdom of the Son he loves, 14in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins.

I know these verses have a very positive and uplifting affect – at least on me. However, this morning I am really focused on being rescued. That can be a tough thing to think about, but why do we need rescuing, rescuing from what and just exactly how did we get into this position?

Recently our Pastor gave us the homework to go and read the Jonathon Edwards sermon “Sinners in the Hands of and Angry God”. It is an amazing, convicting, challenging call to everyone. Edwards based the sermon on Deuteronomy 32:35;

35 It is mine to avenge; I will repay. In due time their foot will slip; their day of disaster is near and their doom rushes upon them."

In this sermon Edwards so correctly reminds us of our depravity, our brokenness, our need of rescue. He reminds us of the precarious footing of our lives and that if we aren’t rescued the consequences are harsh, punishing and eternal. In a particularly vivid description Edwards writes; “There is nothing that keeps wicked men at any one moment out of hell, but the mere pleasure of God. -- By the mere pleasure of God, I mean his sovereign pleasure, his arbitrary will, restrained by no obligation, hindered by no manner of difficulty, any more than if nothing else but God's mere will had in the least degree, or in any respect whatsoever, any hand in the preservation of wicked men one moment.”

Can you see what a predicament we are in? Can you see that any second our foot could slip? Can you see that we are in dire need of being rescued through an atoning sacrifice which in and of itself is the greatest most indescribable act of love?

You know there are many Christian views on end times, but our assistant pastor shared with me that one of his seminary professors told him there were only three things you really need to know about end times. 1. Christ will return, 2. Christ will judge, and 3. Are you ready?

Think about that for a while! Thanks be to our God for the rescuing hand of Christ; our Savior!

Grace and Peace

No comments: