Saturday, September 10, 2011

A Question of Faith


Things can seem so overwhelming in this fallen world; economy, unemployment, illness, storms, earthquakes, crime, wars… Many years ago I was facing one of the most trying times of my life. I found myself troubled, worried, and so very weary. There was just no escaping this “feeling” of fear and depression. For one of the first times in my life I turned to the Bible. It seems as if everywhere I read a few powerful themes rose up; God is a God of love, God is faithful and a God that can be trusted.

I took great comfort in those truths and a statement came to mind; It is a question of faith! Whatever we may be facing it is truly a question of faith. That brings to mind Jeremiah 17:7;

But blessed is the one who trusts in the LORD, whose confidence is in him.

This simple statement; It is a question of faith, was such a great reminder that I wrote it down on a 3X5 index card. I started carrying it in my pocket and as I faced my trying circumstances I would pull that card out and look at it; what peace, what comfort!

Proverbs 3:5-6 tells us;

5 Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; 
6 in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight.

Oh what a God we have. I carried that little card for a very long time, but a few years ago a good friend was facing a very difficult time and as he and I were talking I told him this story and handed him my card.

If you are troubled; have faith!

If you are worried; have faith!

If you are weary; have faith!

If you are facing untold trials; have faith!

In 1 Corinthians 4:6-9 we read;

6 For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” made his light shine in our hearts to give us the light of the knowledge of God’s glory displayed in the face of Christ. 7 But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us. 8 We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; 9 persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed.

Father, we thank you that through faith in Christ as Lord and Savior and by the power of the Holy Spirit that we can rest assured come what may. Even when we are hard pressed, perplexed, persecuted, or struck down, we know that by faith we can trust in your surpassing power. Abba, Father we love you…Amen!

Grace and Peace!

No comments: