Wednesday, December 15, 2010

On His Shoulders


The older I get the more I truly enjoy the Christmas season; not in a gift getting kind of way, but in a meditative, reflective kind of way. Isaiah 9:6 tells us;

For unto us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the Government will be on His shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.

This Christmas season I have been focused on this verse and really amazed by the statement that the Government will be on His shoulders. I am so comforted by that thought; I picture our Savior carrying the burdens of this world on His capable shoulders. I am in awe that on His broad shoulders rest the operations of all things; on His caring shoulders rest each and every one of my burdens, concern and issues; on His loving shoulders rest my many sins and I rejoice!

A theologian explaining the phrase; will be on His shoulders, said that all things were laid on Him as a load for him to bear. My heart cries out; thank you Christ for bearing the load!

Pastor Scotty Smith said of this verse;

“You are our Broad-Shouldered King. Knowing the government of the whole world already rests on your shoulders settles and centers me. This truth melts my fears and fuels my faith. It fills me with a joy only second to knowing your shoulders fully bore the sin of the world, including mine. As this day begins, I raise my shoulders and face to bask in your unparalleled beauty and sovereign reign.”

As Christmas approaches may we all be filled with the joy of knowing our Savior and knowing that our Broad-Shouldered King is there for each of us and there to bear the load!

Grace and Peace!

No comments: