Thursday, August 19, 2010

I Am Thirsty


Three simple words have just been in my heart lately. I can’t seem to shake them; I am at once amazed, troubled, enlightened, and grateful. These words come from John 19:28;

28Later, knowing that all was now completed, and so that the Scripture would be fulfilled, Jesus said, "I am thirsty."

Near death and from the cross; our savior utters these words; our savior who provides living water so that we may never be thirsty; our savior who can perform miracles; our savior who can quench any thirst, who can overcome any drought…says I am thirsty.

This phrase in Greek is actually one word; dipsao. Strong’s defines this as;to suffer thirst, to suffer from thirst and figuratively, those who are said to thirst painfully feel their want of, and eagerly long for those things by which the soul is refreshed, supported, strengthened.


As Christ is suffering on the cross he cries out “I am thirsty”. Can you see the pain, can you see the longing, can you see the separation, can you see the substitution, can you see the atoning sacrifice, can you see the amazing love? This thirst must be physical and spiritual…Oh, I am so sorry for having caused this. Our savior longing for those things by which the soul is refreshed. Oh my.

The one who should never be thirsty was thirsty for us...so that we never will be.

Amen and Amen

Grace and Peace!

No comments: