Friday, May 30, 2008

For I am With You


Much has been going on in the last few days. Friends suffering with personal issues, the death of a relative, cancer, and at times like these I feel useless. So my typical response is to say and do nothing, mostly because I don’t know what to say or do.

One thing I am certain of is that I can pray and I can turn to the Word. While doing that I came across a passage in Acts that just brought so much comfort to me, but also could lend comfort to anyone struggling in any way!

Acts 18:9-10
9One night the Lord spoke to Paul in a vision: "Do not be afraid; keep on speaking, do not be silent. 10For I am with you, and no one is going to attack and harm you, because I have many people in this city."
Isn’t that amazing; no matter what we can trust in Christ for he is with us. It is a question of faith and trust. We find these words throughout the Old Testament as well and John Stott in his commentary on Acts calls this the “greatest of all encouragements”.

Taking it a step further we can certainly by faith come to understand this issue of truly trusting God. Jerry Bridges wrote a great book called “Trusting God: Even When Life Hurts” and in it he says “In order to trust God, we must always view our adverse circumstances through the eyes of faith, not of sense.” You have to think about that for a while. He goes on to say someone he knew expressed it this way; “God in His love wills what is best for us. In His wisdom He always knows what is best, and in His sovereignty He has the power to bring it about.” That is somehow so very encouraging to me.

I think I will go and say or do something – even if it is just being there.

My friends, do not be afraid for He is with you!

Grace and Peace…

No comments: