Saturday, April 26, 2008

Enduring The Darkness


I recently came across an interesting person by the name of Og Mandino. He was a soldier, salesman and inspirational author. He has written many books and shares that his writing was inspired by the Bible. Anyway, I found this quote that I am convinced will stay with me forever. Mandino said, “I will love the light for it shows me the way, yet I will endure the darkness because it shows me the stars.”

Isn’t that just a great thought for our spiritual journey? We all will delight in the light and endure the darkness because it can show us the stars (Heaven?). I often struggle with why there is suffering, trials; the ups and downs of life. On my good days I understand there is a purpose for all things and that as we read in Romans 8:28; “And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.”

During my trying times though; I sometimes wonder. I really think this entire process of life and Christian growth contains within it a building up of spiritual muscle. I take great comfort in this process and see it so clearly in Romans 5; “1Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, 2through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God. 3Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; 4perseverance, character; and character, hope. 5And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given.”

In addition to the spiritual muscle, I believe that this life we live also provides the opportunity to learn where we must turn for all things; from praise to petition. Where we turn is a very interesting concept. For most situations we may have several places to turn; self-help books, media, friends, everywhere but to God…and we must, over time, learn to turn to God for all things. We are encouraged to do just that in Psalm 50:15; “and call upon me in the day of trouble; I will deliver you, and you will honor me.”

Have you ever thought that without the dark we couldn’t see the light? Could it be that this thing called life is a way of showing us the reality of our Christian walk and the hope that waits for those that believe? Is it a way to enable each of us to capture a glimpse of how great, awesome and wonderful that eternal destination will be? Is it a way to ensure that as we approach, it is from a position of eternal gratitude to a great, wonderful and loving God?

I think so! May we all endure the dark so that we may see the light shining bright.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great quote by Mr. Mandino. Thanks for sharing this! I did not know that Og was known as a "sales guru" and that he wrote "The Greatest Salesman in the World". He was also a previous editor of Success Unlimited magazine.

Deron Arnold
http://deronarnold.blogspot.com/